Wednesday, March 01, 2006

We did it - finally!

We did the deed, yesterday we exchanged contracts on the sale of my house. Never thought it would happen with this flaky buyer, but sign she did - and with a short timescale to completion so I am one happy bunny - and of course I have already spent the money many times over!

Now that my excuse for not knuckling down to some serious writing has gone, well I'd better pull my finger out.

At the moment I am editing my picture book. This book started out as an early reader at 4500 words. However editorial feedback pointed out that the subject matter was possibly to young for that age group, and I had to agree, so now it is edited down (after many tries I might add) and sits comfortably at 800 words.

I am very fond of this story and that is something writers may empathise with. It is difficult not to be precious about ones work. A story can feel like your baby and you have to know when to let go i.e. edit/pare down to the bones, or alter your fantastic story line as it is not right for your chosen reader. But just remember, to learn you need to grow and to grow you have to take or accept the advise of an editor who will definitely be more savvy than you!

So edit, edit, edit is what I have done and it is about ready to send out again - just need to re-read it one more time....

Fiona 1/3/06

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home